Steps to take after an auto accident
If you have had an auto accident in Florida, it can be confusing what your next steps should be. Follow these tips to make sure you take care of yourself and the situation.
- Do not admit fault. It is never to your benefit to admit fault at the scene of the accident.
- Get witness names and contact information. It’s important to gather this information at the scene of the accident so that you can contact eyewitnesses later if necessary.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident if you can. These can help make your case later on.
- Seek legal counsel before giving a statement to an insurance company.
- Seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident or your auto insurance will not pay for your medical care. Always let a medic check you out if they are called to the scene. Go to the hospital or your doctor if you need medical care, even if it is a couple of days later. Some symptoms may not present immediately at the scene of the accident.
- Do not accept a settlement offer from insurance without first speaking to an attorney. Insurance companies will often make offers lower than the amount you should be entitled to.
To talk to an experienced Florida auto accident attorney, please call 904-414-4906 today or contact Hardesty, Tyde, Green, Ashton & Clifton for your consultation. We have two convenient office locations in Jacksonville.
What constitutes a personal injury?
The most common personal injury is an auto accident, but the broad definition encompasses any situation where a person suffers harm due to the negligence of another person or entity. Early identification of a personal injury is important to the legal process. Many serious injuries occur each year involving:
– Auto accidents
– Premises liability accidents such as injuries caused by a slip and fall
– Medical malpractice/nursing home injuries
– Wrongful death
– Work-related accidents
– Animal attacks
– Faulty or malfunctioning products (product liability)