Bicycle Injuries on the Rise in the U.S.
With environmental impacts and economics still big concerns for society today, many adults have started biking to and from work, school, and even for recreation. However, as a result, bicycle-related injuries are becoming more common.
Not only are bicycle injuries on the rise throughout the country but they are also analyzed to a particular demographic. It seems that bicycle injuries are most common among middle-aged men over the age of 45. This particular demographic has changed considerably between 1998 and 2013, which has meant more injuries.
One of the reasons for the increase in biking for this particular age group is due to the idol, Lance Armstrong, at the time when he was extremely successful. This sparked an interest in biking for many men.
However, since bicycling is more dangerous in the United States than in any other country, cyclists need to take safety precautions seriously. Some safety guidelines include:
- Wear proper safety equipment – including a helmet, reflective gear, and even a flashlight, if riding at night.
- Using turn signals – All bicyclists should be familiar with their hand signals. Turning in and out of a sunrise or sunset can cause visibility issues for nearby drivers. Using turn signals can properly indicate to a vehicle that a bicyclist is present.
- Biking equipment – All bicyclists should take time to inspect their biking equipment, especially if they are planning on going for a lengthy ride. Ensuring that your reflectors, brakes, and tires are functioning properly can help avoid an accident.
Biking doesn’t have to be a dangerous activity. It can be a healthier form of commuting and even a great form of exercise. While accidents happen every day, hopefully, bicyclists can reduce the number of injuries by adhering to some of these basic safety guidelines.
Bicycle Injuries Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident and have suffered some pretty severe injuries, find out your legal options. You have rights, and the legal team at Hardesty, Tyde, Green, Ashton & Clifton are here to help.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation and consultation to discuss how we can help you. Call us today at (904) 414-4906 and visit us in one of our offices in Jacksonville.
What constitutes a personal injury?
The most common personal injury is an auto accident, but the broad definition encompasses any situation where a person suffers harm due to the negligence of another person or entity. Early identification of a personal injury is important to the legal process. Many serious injuries occur each year involving:
– Auto accidents
– Premises liability accidents such as injuries caused by a slip and fall
– Medical malpractice/nursing home injuries
– Wrongful death
– Work-related accidents
– Animal attacks
– Faulty or malfunctioning products (product liability)