Common Causes of
Serving Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, and clients throughout Florida
While there are not as many semi-trucks on the road as passenger vehicles, they are at higher risk for deadly accidents than the average car. Because of their weight and size alone, trucks can cause accidents with devastating injuries and consequences.
Every year there are thousands of people injured and hundreds of fatalities associated with semi-trucks and 18-wheelers.
These accidents are often preventable by either the car’s driver or the truck driver. By understanding the common causes of these accidents, perhaps more drivers will use caution on the road.
When Cars Cause the Accident
Truck drivers are often mistaken as the ones at fault, but sometimes it can be the driver of the vehicle that causes a truck accident. In other cases, both parties can be at fault. Regardless, these collisions are often deadly and completely avoidable.
Some ways a car may cause an accident with a semi-truck:
- Failing to yield the right away to a semi-truck
- Changing lanes too quickly and cutting off a semi-truck
- Maneuvering inside a truck’s blind spots
- Sliding up underneath the truck by following too close
- Cutting between a truck and the curb when a semi-truck is in the middle of making a wide right-hand turn
- Obstructing the roadway, not allowing the semi-truck enough time to stop
- Merging into traffic improperly and cutting off a semi-truck
- Pulling into traffic or changing lanes and cutting off the drivers
- Not speeding up or slowing down as a truck merges into traffic
- Passing a truck, then being drafted out of position from cross-winds from the truck
When Trucks Cause the Accident
Other times a truck can be at fault for causing a tragic accident. From speeding to fatigue to other factors, negligent drivers and their employers must be held accountable for injuries or deaths they cause.
Some of the common causes of an accident from drivers and/or the trucks include:
- Fatigued driving – Sometimes drivers are forced to drive for extended periods of time and when they get behind the wheel while drowsy, it can be devastating.
- Truck cargo – The cargo on a truck must be evenly distributed. If the cargo isn’t evenly distributed, then the cargo can cause the semi-truck to tip over or the cargo itself can fall out and cause an accident.
- Poor truck maintenance – This can include improper brake maintenance, mirror issues or electrical failures.
- Improperly trained drivers – Semi-truck drivers with limited experience often do not know how to properly react to road conditions or other drivers.
- Drunk driving – Some truck drivers that get behind the wheel intoxicated or while under the influence of drugs.
- Not having adequate enough time to stop – Trucks carry significant loads and that means it takes them much longer to come to a stop. Misjudging the amount of space can lead to a rear-end collision.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is also a common cause for accidents with truck drivers, from operating a radio to controls to even talking on their phone.
- Speeding – We all know speeding can cause fatal truck accidents, especially when these are on the freeway.
- Jack-knifing – This occurs when a semi-truck loses control and their trailers and truck come together at an angle.
Injured in a Truck Accident? Contact Our Team of Jacksonville Truck Accident Attorneys Today!
Regardless of what caused your truck accident, you need the assistance of a skilled truck accident lawyer. The team at Hardesty, Tyde & Ashton, P. A. is here to help.
We know how truck accident insurance companies can be, and we know how aggressive trucking companies are at defending their cases. Our attorneys have handled numerous cases just like yours and we will protect your right to compensation.
Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our skilled truck accident attorneys.
GET ANSWER NOW
Jacksonville Beach Office
Or schedule an in-office FREE CASE REVIEW
What constitutes a personal injury?
The most common personal injury is an auto accident, but the broad definition encompasses any situation where a person suffers harm due to the negligence of another person or entity. Early identification of a personal injury is important to the legal process. Many serious injuries occur each year involving:
– Auto accidents
– Premises liability accidents such as injuries caused by a slip and fall
– Medical malpractice/nursing home injuries
– Wrongful death
– Work-related accidents
– Animal attacks
– Faulty or malfunctioning products (product liability)